Shihan Steven Sciandra (Head Instructor)
Steven Sciandra has over 30 years experience training, teaching, and promoting martial arts. Steven has trained and received rank and recognition in Wrestling, Karate, Aikido, Judo, Kali, Estacada Kajukenbo and Jujitsu. In August 2006, Steven won First Place in the Jujitsu World Championship in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil. Steven Sciandra is one of New York’s most highly regarded and progressive martial arts instructors. He is the Head Instructor and all Senior and Assistant Instructors learn directly from him.
Steven is a college educated athlete and instructor with a degree from Old Dominion University in Virginia. He has been the owner of the Martial Arts Studio for more than 15 years. Steven Sciandra began his martial arts training in 1973 and he has had the good fortune to train under some of the finest instructors in the country.
Steven continues his training under legendary Master Yoichiro Matsamura (Ninth Degree Black Belt). Steven is also privileged to be taught by Tuhon Chris Sayoc. Tuhon Sayoc is noted as one of the finest Kali (Filipino Weapons) instructors in the world. Also, Steven studies under Sifu Bill Schettino. Sifu Schettino is the founder of the Estacada System, which utilizes both empty hand & weaponry. All of this continued training gives Steven a complete, extensive proficiency and knowledge of the Martial Arts.
- Wrestling – State Champion Nationally ranked, Team Captain & MVP, taught by Elliott Gray Simons (Wrestling Hall of Fame)
- Kenpo Karate – Black Belt – Promoted by Sensei Rocky Bavuso (The Karate Studio)
- Judo – Black Belt Second Degree – Promoted by United States Judo Inc (Recommended by Master Yoichiro Matsumura)
- Kali – Certified Sayoc Kali Level II Instructor – by Tuhon Chris Sayoc, founder of Sayoc Kali
- Estacada – Certified Estacada Instructor – by Sifu Bill Schettino, founder of Estacada System
- Kajukenbo – Black Belt Third Degree – Sifu Level – Promoted by Sifu Bill Schettino and Sijo Adriano Emperado, founder
- Jujitsu – Black Belt Fifth Degree – Promoted & taught by Master Yoichiro Matsumura (Ninth Degree Black Belt & Head of International Goshin Jujitsu System)
- National Judo Champion – Masters Division – 2005
- Jujitsu World Champion 2006 – Masters Division – Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- First Place in the World Jujitsu Championships in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil on August 26, 2007
- Second Place Senior Judo Nationals – 2009
Sensei Brian Ottey
Sensei Brian holds Black Belts in Kajukenbo, Kenpo Karate and Goshin Jujitsu (Third Degree). He has been an instructor at TMAS for over 20yrs. Sensei Brian has a lifelong love of both learning and teaching martial arts.
Sensei Orville Ottey
Sensei Orville holds Black Belts in Kenpo Karate and Goshin Jujitsu. He has been an instructor at TMAS for over 20yrs. Sensei Orville has two children who also train at TMAS in our Junior Class.
Sensei Liam Kelpie
Started training in martial arts from a young age. Sensei Liam has been training at TMAS for over 8 Years and has earned a Black Belt in Goshin Jujitsu
Angela is the manager of The Martial Arts Studio. She is currently a Green Belt in Jujitsu, Purple Belt in Estacada Kajukenbo, & Level I in Kali. She is an instructor & Shihan’s wife. When you call for information you will be speaking with Angela. She can help you with any questions you may have regarding classes and setting up your first trial class. Many of our parents enjoy the atmosphere in the school because it is a family business.